Thunderbird Attachment Problem

I am working on a strange problem today. One user complained that he cannot send any pdf document properly through Thunderbird. The user could send other attachments alright, but whenever he tried to send a PDF as attachment, the attachment would be treated as XHTML.

I tried to send the same PDF from another account, and that was fine. I then knew that the problem is not Thunderbird itself. The problem is the individual’s account settings. From my experience, it’s usually caused by MIME not set correctly. I looked through the GUI interface thoroughly. However, I couldn’t find any dialog to set the MIMI types. Looking through the profile folder, I found a file called mimeTypes.rdf. The mimeTypes.rdf file for the problematic account is bigger than the same file for an account that is working. At first, I tried to find out what are the differences between the files. But then it stuck me that I could just use the mimeTypes.rdf that’s working correctly. So, I copied the good mimeTypes.rdf over the bad mimeTypes.rdf. Thunderbird can send PDF attachments correctly afterward.


Find deals on

Notebook Computers Electronics iPod MacBook MacPro

This post may contain affiliated links. When you click on the link and purchase a product, we receive a small commision to keep us running. Thanks.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply