I helped a user with his Eee PC 1000HE and the first thing I did is to replace the memory. The 1000HE comes with 1GB of memory and it has only one slot. Therefore, you cannot just add memory to it, you have to replace the old one. The memory I added is a OCZ 2 GB PC2-5400 667 MHz DDR2 memory. Here are the steps to install it.
- Turn off the computer and remove the battery.
- Turn the computer bottom side up and place it on a soft surface.
- Use a screw driver to remove the two screws.
- Now it’s the scary part. Gently remove the cover. The cover is secured by two tabs around the mid section. You need to apply a bit of force to get it open.
- Before you touch any components inside the computer, touch any metal in your surrounding to discharge statics on you or put on an anti-static wrist strap. Gently pull out the clips from the side of the memory. The memory would pop up. Remove it.
- Insert the new memory into the slot at an angle. Note that there is a notch on the memory, make sure the orientation is alright. If you have problems inserting the memory, the orientation is probably wrong.
- Push down the memory so it locks in place.
- Put back the cover and screws.
You have saved $50.00 by doing this yourself. 🙂