Quite a few people have reported their Windows computers got BSOD after applying this month’s patches. This thread has some of the reports. The exact cause is not known yet. However, people have reported to get their machines back to normal by uninstalling the patch KB977165.
If you have access to your Windows XP CD or you already have Recovery Console installed, you can follow this instruction(Thanks to maxyimus and LThibx):
1. Boot from your Windows XP CD or DVD and start the recovery console (see this Microsoft article for help with this step)
Once you are in the Repair Screen..
2. Type this command: CHDIR $NtUninstallKB978262 $\spuninst
3. Type this command: BATCH spuninst.txt
4. Type this command: systemroot
5. Repeat steps 2 – 4 for each of the following updates provided by FindMeFollowMe:
6. When complete, type this command: exit
Your computer should restart and everything should be back to normal.
This solution instructs you to uninstall all the patches for Feb. It might not be necessary, you can try to unistall KB977165 first and see if that alone can fix the problem.
If you do not have access to your installation CD, but you have a BartPE CD, txkonen has offered this solution:
Booted using BartsPECD Â or use your Recovery CDChange directory to c:\windows\$ntuninstallkb977165$\spuninstcopy the file spuninst.txt to spuninst.cmdexecute the file spuninst.cmdIt will back out the change.
This post may contain affiliated links. When you click on the link and purchase a product, we receive a small commision to keep us running. Thanks.