I have quite a few requests for about file transfer tutorial for Jailbroken iPhones. I thought there are some tutorials out there, I didn’t want to duplicate the efforts. However, I cannot seem to find a good tutorial that I like. So, here is my take of a mini tutorial on how to transfer files between your jailbroken iPhone and your desktop PC or Mac.
What you need is a jailbroken iPhone, a computer (PC or Mac) and a wireless router. I assume you know how to connect your computer and iPhone to the wireless router.
- Connect your iPhone to your wireless router.
- Install OpenSSH and Boss Prefs using Cydia.
- Click on Settings -> General -> Auto-Lock and set it to Never
- Back to the home screen and run Boss Prefs.
- Make sure Wifi and SSH are ON. Make a note of the IP address for the Wifi network. In this example, the IP address is 192.168.1.102 .
- Connect your computer to your wireless router.
- Install FileZilla from this site.
- Run FileZilla. Note that some firewall programs might block FileZilla, you need to configure your firewall to allow it to connect to the network.
- Click on the site manager icon on the top left corner of FileZilla and create a new site called iPhone. The password is alpine if you have not changed it. I strongly recommend you changing the password for mobile account and root account immediately.
- Click on Connect and you are in. You can transfer the files between local site(computer) and remote site(iPhone) now.
Here are some important notes:
- The location for Cycorder videos is /private/var/mobile/Media/Videos and the location for NES ROMs is /private/var/mobile/Media/ROMs/NES . You need to create the directories for NES ROMs and remember it’s case sensitive.
- When you are done transferring, don’t forget to turn off SSH using Boss Prefs. If you keep SSH turned on and you have not changed the default password, your iPhone is very vulnerable to hackers.
- From time to time, your iPhone’s assigned IP address might change, so you have to modify the FileZilla settings to reflect the new IP address.
This post may contain affiliated links. When you click on the link and purchase a product, we receive a small commision to keep us running. Thanks.